So many brand for virtual reality headset . Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Samsung VR, Playstation VR … and other. To help you find best virtual reality headset to buy in 2017, we have listed, referenced and compared all available or advertised VR helmets. And if you still do not understand anything, you can always check out our virtual reality helmet purchase guide. It will help you to learn more about these devices.
Since it is better to know what to expect before breaking for such a device, we decided to evaluate them on several criteria.
Quality of display
Primordial for a successful virtual reality experience, the quality of the display depends mainly on the type of slab and its definition. The ideal is currently the Oled, which combines black depth, high contrast and minimal remanence time. If we expect a maximum definition – the first 5.5 “4K / UHD screens are just beginning to arrive on the market by the end of 2015 – it is also necessary that the space between the pixels be reduced to the maximum, To cause an unpleasant grid effect.
A virtual reality helmet should detect the user’s movements as faithfully and as quickly as possible, and then display the image with a minimum shift so as not to cause discomfort and discomfort. The best headphones reduce latency to less than 20 ms, with a display frequency rising to 90 or even 120 Hz.
Displaying a beautiful virtual environment is one thing, managing to keep the user in a comfortable situation to preserve immersion is another. The helmet must thus be forgotten and be comfortable. It must also be able to adapt to different morphologies and different visions.
While some mobile headsets are universal and adapt to several Smartphone’s, others are only compatible with some models, such as the Samsung Gear VR. The same goes for the PlayStation VR, which only works with the PS4. On the PC side, however, the compatibility is broader, but the minimum configuration required still reserves the helmets to the most powerful machines.
Here is a list Best virtual reality headset to buy 2018
1. Oculus Rift: the essential virtual reality helmet
if there’s only one headset that most people know, it’s this one. The Oculus Rift was the one that launched the VR helmet race, it remains one of the most successful and best known to date. it is the most extensive headset and probably the one that offers the greatest compatibility in terms of PC applications and accessories. The sensors are already integrated in the headset and it has in addition a webcam.
About the product
- Get 6 free titles, including: Robo Recall, Luckyʼs Tale, Quill, Medium, Dead and Buried, and Toybox
- Riftʼs ultra low-latency tracking offers unparalleled immersion
- The Oculus Touch controllers bring your hands into VR, letting you interact naturally with the virtual world
- NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti/AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater Graphics Card Required and a RAM of 8 GB+ RAM
- Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer Operating System required
- Windows PC and internet connection required – review recommended specs to confirm system compatibility
2. HTC Vive : One of the most successful
Produced by HTC and Valve, HTC Vive is undeniably part of the top of this top. The technical characteristics are essentially identical to those of Oculus. Its advantage lies in its partnership with Valve, the originator of Steam video game download platform, a real heavyweight in the video game industry that can bring a lot of benefits to Vive users. Unlike the Rift, where the sensors were already included in the helmet, these are positioned outside.
About the product
- Vive is built from the ground up for room-scale VR, which allows you to physically move around objects in the virtual space.
- Enjoy hundred of games for SteamVR, plus everything you love about Steam in VR.
- An adjustable headset and multiple eye relief adjustments, including lens distance and IPD, make Vive comfortable and clear.
- Wireless controllers designed just for VR make for natural and intuitive interactions.
- SteamVR Tracking provides a superior experience whether you play seated, standing or in a room-scale space.
3. Playstation VR from Sony: the VR headset for gamers
It is not just the PC in life. There’s also the Playstation. Console players could grimace at the overabundance of the offer of VR headphones for PCs. They stop because the Sony Playstation VR was specially designed for the PS4, and has nothing to envy its competitors. Very good bill, it has the advantage of being the only compatible with the Playstation at the moment.
About the product
- Contains: PlayStation VR headset, Processor unit, PlayStation VR headset connection cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, Stereo headphones, AC power cord, AC adaptor, PlayStation VR Demo Disc
- Games Come First – With gamers in mind, PlayStation delivers a new world of unexpected gaming experiences through PlayStation VR.
- Just Plug and Play – Getting into PlayStation VR couldn’t be easier. Just plug the PlayStation VR headset and your PlayStation Camera into your PlayStation 4 system. Sold separately.
- Advanced VR Display – Seamless visuals keep you connected to the virtual world through an expansive 5.7” OLED 1080p display running at up to 120 frames per second.
- 3D Audio Technology – 3D Audio with PlayStation VR means that you’ll be able to pinpoint sounds above, below, and all around you.
4. Google Cardboard: the most economical
Normally, at the sight of the product, you must have figured out why the Google Cardboard is the cheapest on the market. As a result, do not expect a high quality product. The image quality offered by our Smartphone’s is not yet there and the immersion of the helmet leaves something to be desired, due in particular to the lack of adjustments that allows the light to filter on the sides. Not really the most comfortable model either. In short, an economic headset that is especially interesting for those who would like to test the virtual reality without too much hands in the portfolio, or for developers who would like to create 3D applications and test them quickly.
About the product
- A simple and inexpensive DIY Google virtual reality glasses.
- Complete Kit without NFC.
- Installation process is simple and can be completed within 3 minutes.
- Can control your phone with the magnets.
- Supports LR format besides the usual video format.
5. Samsung Gear VR: VR mobile headset (for smartphone) high-end
Here we enter the mobile VR helmet part, which means that it is actually your smartphone that gives the illusion of 3D. While most of these models offer perfection image quality, the Samsung Gear VR plays on quality. it offers a good immersion and a good reactivity but is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S6, S7, Note 5 and 7.
In March 2017, Samsung introduced a new iteration of its Gear VR to accompany the release of its new flagship Galaxy S8. The headset does not change radically but will now come with a bluetooth controller.
About the product
- Complete 360 immersion with a wide 101o field of view
- New social features to interact with friends in vr -watch a movie/TV together, play a game or just chat in a virtual world
- Seamless integration with Samsung gear 360 to create your own VR content